7.4.11

I get by with a little help from my friends

I would say the greatest advantage of living in Arequipa are the people. I have made some wonderful friends since my arrival 2 and a half months ago. I always expect to make friends easily whenever I am in a new place, but sometimes I am surprised at how close we all become.

Sitting around the pub on Friday nights with Amanda, Claire, Sabah, Verena, Mick, and more, it's hard to imagine I have only known them for such a short time. Let me introduce you to my friends...

Amanda--I wouldn't be here if it wasnt for Amanda. We met in CELTA and became instant friends. She was offered a job here and let me know there was another opening. I love being here with her. Hopefully we can journey to many more countries together in the future.

Claire--my little British saucepot. She and I are quite the pair. People probably ponder our interesting friendship as we scratch each others backs or salsa dance together in a pub but I wouldnt have it any other way.

Sabah--my housemate and partner in crime, we think the exact same ridiculous things. It makes living together fun. We laugh together for hours.

Verena and Mick--this lovely British pair are the coolest couple I have ever met. Despite the extreme difference in our ages, when we are all together, we are young at heart. In addition to playing futbol games in the parks on weekends, they join us in the quizzes on Friday nights. Their brilliance and competitiveness make for a fun night. They are leaving at the end of the month and I know tears will be shed. They have helped us younger gringos out a lot and we love them!

Matt--my British brother who I love/hate. We fight like siblings and only once have I actually managed to hug him. From name calling and cat fights, we really do love each other (even though he wont admit it).

Diego--my closest local friend who always helps me out. He was one of my students and became a good friend. Whether its taking me to the pharmacy or the doctor, accompanying me to Serpost to get my mail, treating me to lunch, or letting me borrow his sweater when its cold, I know he will always be there when I need him. And sometimes we fight and argue like the oldest of friends.

Antuka and Majo--two of my awesome students from February. Us girls like to gossip and talk. They are so funny and cute. I love being around them!

Juan--my dance partner and wonderful friend. He helps me with Spanish and we never run out of things to talk about. He is on crutches now, and when he is healed, I will finally get to watch him play futbol (it's his career)! Get off those crutches soon!!

Dennis--fellow teacher and a great Peruvian friend. We constantly joke and Im sure that people around us have no idea what we are talking about most of the time. Awesome guitar player also. I told him he has to give me lessons.

Lucia--my new friend! she is a teacher and a local too. Tonight we walked home together and had a good time talking. I am glad we are friends now!

Maru--teacher and a local, I absolutely love Maru. She is a great friend. I love listening to her teach because she is hardcore and keeps her teenagers in line. And if you catch her dancing, you are lucky because that girl can dance!

Ron--another Peruvian English teacher. Today he gave me and Amanda and Claire the first of many Spanish lessons!

Miguel--I love Miguel. he teaches at another school here but worked at the Llama so that is how I met him. He is smart and really kind. Its fun to be around him.

Pilar--she is like my little sister I never had! I live in her house. Every night she comes to my room to get help on her English homework. She teaches me some Spanish too. She is so cute!

Ollie & Fiona--these two (British and Scottish) work at the Llama. The llama is like our second home whether its the weekend or a weekday. Fiona can make anyone feel better and Ollie makes you feel like the coolest person in the world when you walk in the door and he yells out your name, LAURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I have many more friends here, but I just wanted to introduce a few and allow some insight into my Peruvian family!

No comments:

Post a Comment