2.4.11

"Meeeeeeeeees"

Sometimes when I am teaching, I stare at the looks on the faces of my students and think, “oh great, they are confused again…” Do you need help guys? Silence. Finally, one student breaks the silence. The things that come out of their mouths never cease to amaze me…
“Mees…(this is Peruvian English for Miss)…Do you have a lover?”
Or my personal favorite...
“Mees…have you ever smoked marijuana?”

Those are the questions that make me smile and make me realize that the extremely slow pace at which I must talk in class, the hand gestures, the terrible drawings on the white boards, and the fun game of charades (where I am the only participant) are worth it.
The front of the classroom is the one place where I don’t feel like a complete and mental fool for acting out a dog barking or a mermaid with a seashell bra lounging on a rock (yes I did that one day).
So, who wants me to be their teacher? It’s cheaper entertainment than a going to see a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment